I apologize for my temporary hiatus from Ola, but I am happy to return with a special first post of 2018. As some of you know, I like to participate in a little workout group called The Rise NYC.
Share with anyone who might need a good workout, a few high fives, and a large dose of contagious positivity.
Here is the complete post:
“Anyone can do this. Everyone is welcome. You will have fun.” – The Rise NYC
- What: A 30-minute workout that meets at 6:30am in different public spaces around NYC every single Monday – Friday. The Rise NYC is always completely FREE (just show up!), and someone will be there every day no matter what. Literally nothing — no rain, wind, blizzard conditions, bomb cyclones, national holidays or even subway delays will stop Risers from showing up. The result: An amazing full body workout complete with lots of high-fives (the official greeting of Risers), sore muscles, and not a moment lost from your day. If The Rise doesn’t make you love NYC (and life) a little more, you get your money back. OH wait… It is totally FREE. Nothing to lose! So do what the Risers do and… Just show up! Optional coffee and breakfast at a local coffee shop or diner follows every workout.
- Where: The Rise NYC meets in multiple locations around the city. The different locations come with slightly different workouts. But one thing is certain: every day, someone will be there. So show up, bring a friend, and get ready to sweat. Click on each day to learn more about that particular workout.
- Monday: HIIT workout in Washington Square Park, Manhattan, 6:30am.
- Tuesday: BK Body Circuit at Grand Army Plaza, Brooklyn, 6:30am OR Queens Warriors at MacDonald Park, Queens, 6:30am.
- Wednesday: Core Body Bootcamp in front of the New York Public Library at Bryant Park, Manhattan, 6:30am.
- Thursday: Form and Flow, at Flatiron Plaza, Manhattan, 6:30am OR King of Queens at MacDonald Park, Queens, 6:30am.
- Friday: Hills at the Williamsburg Bridge, Manhattan side, 6:30am.
- NOTE: This is my favorite. If you’ve never seen the sun come up while running laps up and down the Williamsburg Bridge, you’re cheating yourself of something beautiful!
- Why: Yes, 6:30am is on the early side for most people. But let me tell you a little story. In 2015, my relationship ended and I was exhausted and burnt out from almost 5 years of intensive school to get my Doctorate in Physical Therapy. It was November, and I had never liked working out in the cold. I avoided outdoor winter workouts whenever possible. Then, a chance encounter with Dave Johnson — founder and creator of The Rise — got me curious. I was nervous to “just show up” because I didn’t know anyone else, it was really early in the morning, and I wasn’t sure what was in store physically. And then I did. On a grey Wednesday morning in November, I went to my first Rise workout in Bryant Park. To say I had fun would be an understatement. The good vibes were infectious, and I couldn’t stop smiling. Because of my schedule, I couldn’t make the other mid-week workouts, so I went to the Saturday bRUNch through TMIRCE NYC (The Rise’s sister running group — more on them another time) 3 days later. When there, I was convinced to cancel a first date I had that night and come to the annual “High Five Formal” — a big party with runners decked out in formal wear and sneakers. Between that first Rise workout on the Wednesday and that Saturday run and party, my happiness levels skyrocketed. The Rise lit something up in my soul that had been buried under hundreds of hours of lectures and exams, a broken but healing heart, and a frustrated grad student in NYC. For the first time in months, I felt like ME again. I have so much more to say about this, but basically The Rise NYC gave me back everything I felt I had lost in the months before it. As a bonus, I’ve made some amazing friends, I have been inspired to run faster and farther than ever before, and I am no longer hesitant to wake up early — even in the winter! — because I know the high fives and smiles always make the lack of sleep worth it. The Rise isn’t just a workout; it changed my world for the better. Only amazing things have come from it since. You will leave each workout feeling invigorated by the positivity of the people in the group. You will make new friends. You will get stronger. You will smile. You will laugh. You will see the sunrise over and over again. But more than anything, you will probably be a better version of you. So take it from me: Just show up. It might just change your life.
- When: 6:30am (on the dot — I recommend arriving a little earlier or you’ll miss precious minutes of the short workout) every Monday through Friday at a different location each day of the week. See above.
- Happiness Ranking: 11/10. It’s one of my favorite things of all time. The worse the weather, the bigger the smiles.
- Cost: FREE. I repeat: $0.00! Too good to be true? Nope. Just a few high fives and you’re in.
- Link: https://therisenyc.org/